Did you know?
One of the most iconic structures in the world is the Eiffel Tower but how much do you really know about it? We thought you would enjoy reading some of these fun facts.
- Alexandre Gustave Eiffel, 1832 - 1923, French civil engineer and architect. Designer and creator of the Eiffel Tower, Gustave also contributed to building the Statue of Liberty.
- The Eiffel Tower was built for the 1889 Paris Exposition and was not intended to be permanent. This event was symbolic of the beginning of the French Revolution.
- In 1887 when it was built it cost 7,799,401.31 in French gold. If the Eiffel Tower was built today it would cost $31 billion.
- It took 300 workers, 18,038 pieces of wrought iron, and 2.5 million rivets to build the tower. It was completed in 2 years, two month and 5 days.
- The Eiffel Tower was going to be demolished in 1909, but was saved because it was repurposed as a giant radio antenna.
- The height of the Eiffel Tower varies by 5.9 inches depending on temperature changes. It is 1,063 feet tall and was the tallest building for 41 years.
- There are 1,665 steps to the top, and features 20,000 light bulbs.
- The paint on the Eiffel Tower weighs as much as 10 elephants.
- A women “married” the Eiffel Tower in 2007. Her legal name is now Erika La Tour
- This monument is the most visited paid monument in the world. Over the years, 250 million people have visited. Since it is so iconic there are more than 30 replicas around the world.